Small business owners or niche businesses face the high hurdle of reaching people who are hard to target on small budgets. Newspaper and Magazine Advertising is in some ways better able to reach hard to reach niches and demographics that other types of media may be unable to. The main reason for this is because there is a magazine or a specialty publication that caters to almost every group you can think of. In fact, even some seemly obscure topics have editions that are dedicated just to those people! For instance, USA Today has specialty issues that feature topics for all sorts of topics from sports, to education and even summer camps! Whether you are looking to advertise a unique product or service that fills the need for a specific audience, there is probably a magazine or newspaper that is already targeting a demographic that is perfect for what you are selling.( Check out these links for more information on Specialty or Niche publications, Sports Weekly , USA TODAY’S Education Today, USA TODAY’S Camp Today ) and other information on magazine and newspaper advertising.
Five Advantages of Newspaper and Magazine Advertising
- Loyal Readership Most often audiences of niche publications are loyal readers who are eagerly looking for news and information about activities and subjects that they care about and have a vested interest in.
- Extended Shelf life Newspaper and Magazine Advertising is the only form of advertising that still exists today that offer advertisers an ad that has an extended shelf life. Literally! Often magazines are kept around for weeks or months at a time. For instance, think about how long magazines tend to sit around in Doctor’s offices. Frequently you will see magazines that are months or even years old. As people wait they tend to flip through the pages. In printed publications the ads never go away, this is not the case for other forms of advertising like online, TV or even radio which tend to disappear the second the money runs out or only remain on the screen for a short period of time.
- Tuned in Audience Print advertising is one of the few forms of media that truly requires its audience to tune in. online or even on radio or TV ads can easily be ignored. most people sit down with newspaper and magazines with the Intention to learn or see something new.
- Targeted With magazine advertising and as with any specialty or niche market publication, you can target your ad at a specific group. This might be hobbyists or collectors as well as specific demographics, regions or age groups. By placing ads in specialty sections of the newspaper you are able to place your ad in front of a targeted audience who is the ideal audience for what you are offering.
- Less competition with so many other forms of advertising out there Newspapers and magazines offer an uncluttered place for businesses to place their ads where they won’t be drowned out and ignored as click bait.
Display advertising that uses tactile elements is very effective at converting audiences.
Often print advertising is overlooked as the powerhouse of advertising that it is. It can be easy to forget that there are actually several very concrete reasons why print advertising actually has a leg up on the competition in what it takes to allow people to retain the information that is in an advertisement.